A successful approach to preparing for your FINRA exam is often a two-pronged strategy. You certainly need to study and know the content being tested (our study programs see to that!). Oftentimes, however, that is not enough; you also need to beat the test. You likely have anxiety over some of the extracurricular aspects of taking the exam — the unchartered exam room, navigating through the computerized testing screens, or just an overall fear of the unknown. Our study programs offer tutorials on test taking tips, and in previous blog posts, we’ve discussed how to be prepared on test day (Testing Centers: The Mysteries Unveiled). This blog will discuss and point to additional resources that are available to familiarize you with the testing center/environment prior to showing up on test day.
Test Taker Tips video. This one-minute video provides some very generic test taking tips.
Computer-based test demo. This demo previews the Pearson Vue computer interface and its features. This will give you a feel for the computer-based test*, but some of the features and types of questions demonstrated are not used on the FINRA exams.
What to Expect on Test Day video. This eight-minute video gives in-depth details on what to expect when you show up for your exam — offering visuals of center procedures from greeting and identification through check-out.
Test Drive. Prometric offers test takers the opportunity to schedule and take a 30-minute “dry-run” prior to their test date. For $30, the Test Drive experience includes check-in, ID confirmation, documentation checking, image capture, seating, tutorial, a generic sample test*, a survey of the experience, and an end-of-test check-out, all at the actual testing center. You can schedule your Test Drive here.
FINRA Tutorial for Taking Qualification Exams. FINRA offers this computer-based tutorial to familiarize test takers with how the system operates. No previous computer experience is required and the tutorial will cover how to advance and go back, keep track of time remaining, select and change an answer, mark questions for review, navigate special exhibits, use the calculator and notepad, and exit the exam.
At FIRE Solutions, it is our goal to help you pass your exam on your first attempt. Overcoming test anxiety can be as important as knowing the material, and familiarizing yourself with the test environment can help to that end. We hope you find these resources beneficial and you’ll look to FIRE Solutions for all your securities exam prep needs!
*The demo will not necessarily represent the exact look, feel, or content of your particular exam (FINRA may customize the vendor interface). However, it will allow you to experience samples of the types of question that you might encounter on the actual exam.
- Other blog post
- DOL Fiduciary Rule Strikes Out — Is the SEC Up Next?
- Cryptocurrency Reporting Requirements: The Skinny on Keeping Your Firm Compliant
- FINRA’s New SIE and SKE Exams — The Transition Period
- So You Want To Work in the Securities Industry? The odds have been tipped in your favor.
- FINRA Releases Specialized Knowledge Exam Outlines
- New Rules Help Prevent the Financial Exploitation of Senior and Vulnerable Adults
- What You Should Know Before Opening Your Exam Window This Summer/Fall!
- FINRA releases final SIE exam outline and confirms effective date; specialized exam outlines to be released soon!
- Heads Up: Year-End Is The End for FINRA Testing at Pearson VUE
- FINRA Delays SIE Rollout Until October 1st, 2018.